Each morning when I feed the ducks in the front Barnyard I am greeted by our smallest goat, Spike. He has been with us for three months and is an estimated six months old. Although his girth has increased, he has not seemed to grow height-wise.
You may remember the Sandhill Crane juvenile we rescued a couple weeks ago. She got her wing caught under a gate and was wedged between the gate and the fence on her back. We do not know how long she laid like that, but my guess is it was awhile. She had bruised her wings.
I am deeply saddened to report the loss of our beautiful Crested Pekin Duck, Cotton. He was killed by a predator as he laid beside the fence. I do not believe it was a wildlife predator, as they usually wreak havoc causing much more loss of life.
Last night I got a call from my neighbor about a hawk that was lying on the ground barely moving. I was right around the corner, so was able to arrive on the scene very quickly. This Hawk laid flat on the ground with it’s legs in back of it. It’s breathing was labored.
Last night we responded to a call for help for a dumped or abandoned Pekin Duck. My best guess is he was an all too common impulsive Easter Duck that was more care than the owner wanted to give. So off to the local pond he went. These are domestic ducks and it is illegal […]
- Batwa’s Story November 9, 2014
- Alexandrine Parakeet Will Be Calling Our Rescue Home November 6, 2014
- Captain Jack is Sporting a New Featherdo January 23, 2015
- Gotta Love Those Smart Crows March 31, 2015
- Our Smallest Goat, Spike June 26, 2015
- Remember the Sandhill Crane Juvenile June 19, 2015
- Our Beautiful Crested Pekin Duck, Cotton June 14, 2015
- A Day With Hawks June 8, 2015
Please consider a monetary donation to help support the animal care and education the HSHAR provides.